General Burning Rules
For more information on city burning regulations check out the link below to Municode and read the City of Cedar Falls Burning Code
referenced in Code of Ordinances Chapter 11, Article III. In general, here are the highlights of the City of Cedar Falls open burning regulations:
- Bonfires must have fire department approval.
- Burning of building materials is prohibited without fire department approval.
- Burning of garbage or rubbish is prohibited.
- Fires used solely for the cooking of food are permitted.
- Grass and leaves may not be burned.
- No burning is allowed in commercial, industrial, or shopping districts.
- No burning is allowed on a street, alley, or boulevard.
- The fire department can prohibit any fire type that has received a complaint.
- Twigs and sticks can be burned but must be at or less than 1 ½ inches in diameter.
Recreational Fire Guidelines
- Must be 20 feet from any building.
- Must be between the hours of noon and dark (it is considered dark when street lights turn on), after dark needs fire department approval.
- Must be in a fire pit or contained area, such as an incinerator or fire ring.
- Must be supervised by competent person at least 18 years of age.