Smoke Detector Maintenance
- It is extremely important to regularly test and clean all detectors.
- Replace the batteries in battery-operated units once a year or in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations.
- Teach everyone in your house to leave working batteries in smoke detectors and not to use them elsewhere.
- They should not be painted.
- To test and clean a detector, follow the manufacturer's instructions.
- Cobwebs and dust can impair a detector's sensitivity; most units should be vacuumed at least once a year.