Brief History & Other Facts
The industrial park started in the late 1960s with 40 acres donated to the city by the Cedar Falls Utilities. The original 40 acres is the home of the Viking Pump foundry and manufacturing operation.
- From 1970 to 1980, it grew from three to 15 companies.
- From 1980 to 1990, it grew to 27 companies with approximately 750 employees.
- From 1990 to 2007, it grew from 27 companies to 155 companies, and from 750 employees to 5,000 employees.
In the fall of 1996, the 75-acre Technology Park for Corporate Office Sites was developed. The technology park overlooks two man-made lakes created from a borrow site for the construction of Highway 58 (Avenue of the Saints). The park also incorporates recreational trails, a park / picnic area for employees, wild prairie grass, nesting habitat, etc. The current industrial / technology park consists of more than 850 acres with complete infrastructure and over 5,100,000 square feet of completed buildings.
Other Industrial & Technology Park Facts
- Approximately 5,000 people are employed by companies in the park.
- Approximately 5,100,000 square feet of existing building space has been constructed.
- Existing buildings are available for lease or purchase.
- There are 155 companies in the Cedar Falls Industrial / Technology Park as of 2007.
- The site is home of the University of Northern Iowa.
Contact the Department of Community Development at (319) 273-8606 for developer information and listing of available space in the Industrial / Technology Park.