Board of Adjustment
This quasi-judicial body provides relief from regulations of the city's Zoning Ordinance. The Board may review applications pertaining to a variance or a special exception permit. They rule on requests for a variance, seeking relief from requirements such as lot size, setbacks, building size, or fence regulations. The criteria for approval are very strict based on State-imposed requirements. Many requests are not approved. A variance cannot be granted to allow a use that is not permitted by the Zoning Ordinance.
Another duty of the Board of Adjustment is to consider special exception permits for any development within the floodway portions of the general floodplain district. Any use that involves placement of structures, fill or other obstructions, excavation or alterations of a watercourse may be allowed only upon issuance of a special exception permit by the Board of Adjustment with final approval by the Iowa Department of Natural Resources.
The Board of Adjustment was established by Section 26-59 of the City Code; the board typically meets the third Tuesday of the month at 7:00pm at City Hall.
MembershipSeven members serve five-year terms:
- Ms. Barbara Weeg - Term ends 03/31/2021
- Ms. Jennifer Rasmussen - Term ends 03/31/2022
- Mr. Michael Mangin - Term ends 03/31/2023
- Mr. Mark G. Miller - Term ends 03/31/2024
- Mr. Gerald Sorensen - Term ends 03/31/2024
- Ms. Sue Beach - Term ends 03/31/2025
- Ms. Amy Lang - Term ends 03/31/2025
City Staff Liaison
- Ms. Karen Howard (AICP),
Planning & Community Services Manager,
(319) 268-5169 | firstname.lastname@example.org