Information on Coronavirus Outbreak - COVID 19
The City of Cedar Falls has been working with state and county agencies to protect and inform our community regarding the COVID-19 virus. We are taking safety precautions to help decrease exposure opportunities in our community and following the guidelines from the Center for Disease Control (CDC) and the Iowa Department of Health (IDPH).
On this website, you will find the latest city press releases regarding COVID-19, department updates, and resources to learn more about the virus.
Cedar Falls Mask Mandate Resolution to Expire
During the Cedar Falls City Council meeting on May 17, 2021, the City Council voted to allow the current Cedar Falls mask mandate resolution to expire on May 19, 2021, at 11:59 p.m. The mandate originally passed on September 8, 2020, and required anyone within city limits to wear a face covering in public settings when unable to remain six or more feet apart from others with exemptions made for health or public safety reasons.
City Facility Updates:
- Cedar Falls City Hall is open to the public under regular business hours
- Visitors may only visit the front desk either upstairs or downstairs at City Hall. Plexiglass will be in place to provide a barrier between staff and visitors. Hand sanitizer stations will be set up at both windows and sanitation of all surfaces will be performed frequently. Any citizen exhibiting symptoms of illness, including fever, shortness of breath, or cough, should not visit City Hall.
- We continue to encourage citizens to conduct business online as much as possible. Please see the resources listed under 'Learn more about doing business online with Cedar Falls’ section on this webpage for more information
- The Cedar Falls Recreation and Fitness Center is open:
- Learn more about safety rules in place at the Rec by clicking this link. Call (319) 273-8636 with any questions.
- The Falls Aquatic Center will open for the 2021 summer season beginning May 29, 2021. Click here for more information.
- Summer camps will take place this year and staff will be in communication with participants regarding safety guidelines.
- The Cedar Falls Public Library is open to the public. Curbside service is also available. For more information on their services, go to cedarfallslibrary.org or contact (319) 273-8643 with any questions.
- The Cedar Falls Community Center will be resuming regular hours on July 6, 2021.
- The Visitors and Tourism Center is open to the public, Monday - Friday, 9 AM to 5 PM. Plexiglass barriers are in place at the front desk. Call (319) 268-4266 with any questions.
- The Hearst Center for the Arts is open to the public (normal operating hours):
- Staff asks that patrons be considerate of social distancing requirements when viewing exhibitions. Artworks are hung with enough space to allow for comfortable viewing.
- Any patron exhibiting signs of illness including cough, fever, or shortness of breath or were recently exposed to a person diagnosed with COVID-19 should not enter the facility.
- By-appointment viewing of the exhibition is also available on Mondays between 2:00 and 4:00 p.m. To schedule an appointment, please call or email Heather Skeens the week before at (319) 268-5550 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Visit thehearst.org for more information and to stay updated on programming announcements.
- Summer camps will be open this year at the Hearst and staff will be in communication with participants regarding safety guidelines.
Learn more about doing business online with Cedar Falls:
- Many permits, licenses, payments, services requests can be handled online, over the phone, by email, or traditional mail. Click here to see the list of city phone numbers.
- The Inspection Services Division is currently operating as follows:
- Permits continue to be required for work regulated under our building codes
- Inspections are to be scheduled by call/email only and Inspectors & Building Officials can be reached by contacting City Hall at (319) 273-8600
- Permits can be submitted electronically at https://www.cf1stop.com/
- New construction for both residential and commercial will continue as well as exterior inspections for siding, decks, etc. Additions/remodels inspections and furnace/hot water inspections are also available.
- If you will be on-site during an inspection, remember to do the following:
- Confirm everyone in the home is in good health. If someone is in quarantine due to exposure or a positive COVID test, the inspection will have to be scheduled after the quarantine time is over.
- Please minimize the number of people in the home at the time of the inspection.
- If you need to interact with the inspector, wear a mask.
- Learn more about Building Inspection Services here.
- Use the city website to report an issue or request service. Find request for service forms here.
- The Cedar Falls Police Division encourages the public to call in police reports to (319) 273-8612. Property pick-up is now available.
- You can now report crimes online at https://www.cedarfalls.com/1533/Report-a-Crime. The online submission form allows for the reporting of crimes such as credit card fraud, harassment, theft, and minor vehicle accidents on private property. It is not for emergencies or crimes in progress. In an emergency situation always call 911.
- Beginning February 15, 2021, City Council meetings will be available via videoconference and the public may also attend at City Hall. Due to social distancing, there is limited seating in the Council Chambers. All other commission meetings are taking place via videoconference only. Visit bit.ly/CFCityCouncil for all meeting agendas and access information and to stay updated on meeting availability and location.
- Please continue to check the city website and social media for additional updates. You can follow the city on Facebook and Twitter at @citycf.
View recent press releases from the City:
- Cedar Falls Mask Mandate Resolution to Expire: May 18, 2021
- Cedar Falls Mask Mandate Resolution Extended: April 6, 2021
- Cedar Falls Mask Mandate Resolution
- Iowa Rent and Utility Assistance Program: February 19, 2021
- CF Mask Mandate Resolution Remains Active: February 8, 2021
- Cedar Falls City Council Votes to Extend Mask Mandate Resolution: January 22, 2021
- Cedar Falls City Council Extends Mask Mandate Resolution: December 9, 2020
- Cedar Falls Council Extends Mask Mandate: October 20, 2020
- Cedar Falls City Council Passes Mask Mandate Resolution: September 9, 2020
- Public Safety Now Offering Online Reporting Form: March 23, 2020
- COVID-19 in Iowa
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention
- Iowa Department of Public Health
- Black Hawk County Health Department
- World Health Organization
- John Hopkins University COVID-19 situation dashboard
- Center for Disease Control Travel Notices
- U.S. Department of State
- U.S. Small Business Administration Disaster Assistance Information for COVID-19